January 13, 2012

chroniker city: book two


Well, you people on social media might have noticed, if you were paying attention, that I crossed the 10,000 word mark on the sequel to The Clockwork Giant.

And… I have a title. Releasing this December, the next book in the Chroniker City series is…

*drumroll*

The Chroniker Legacy

I originally wanted to hold onto that title until the third book, but I think it’s going to fit better with the second book, especially since I couldn’t think of any other titles, not good ones anyway. 

But as far as writing this sequel goes, I think it’s safe to say that I found the proper beginning. No doubt, it will need some polishing and trimming once the first draft is finished, but the point of the matter is that I’m writing again. I already sent the first chapter to my critique partner Darby Karchut, and my husband has read the first two chapters. They both gave me the thumbs up to keep writing, so that’s what I plan to do.

I’m more excited about this story that I was when I first started writing The Clockwork Giant, which is saying something, because I was girlishly giddy in the early stages of writing the first book. In the sequel, we’ll get to see a different side of the city and of the University. Petra will be more involved socially, a new cast of characters joins the story, and there will be plenty of action for the manly men among my readers (I honestly had a friend tell me the book needed more explosions *shakes head*). I hope that in this book, you get to see another side of Petra as well. I wish I could say more, but I don’t want to spoil the first book for anyone.

I’m just glad that I finally found the right place to start the story. So far, it’s been flowing really well, each scene transitioning nicely into the next. But before this week, I was so lost that I probably would have made more progress planting my face on the keyboard and rolling around for a few minutes. I’m glad that I stuck with it and didn’t settle with a good enough beginning. The moment I settle for good enough, someone should slap me.

Anyway, I hope to get another block of writing done today… after a nap. The new dosage of my daily meds has sapped my energy, which is why my blog posts this week have all been posted after eleven o’clock. And I haven’t been keeping up with my exercise either. Too tired and apathetic to do crunches at seven in the morning. 

In other news, next week, I start watching my goddaughter while her mother goes back to nursing school. Taking care of her will probably cut into my writing time quite a bit, but only two days of the week will be really time-consuming. The rest of the week, I’ll only be watching her a few hours a day.

That’s all for today. I hope you all have a great Friday the 13th and subsequent weekend. Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you're writing again :) 10k is not a bad start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Clockwork Giant is high on my to-read list right now, I'm looking forward to digging into it!

    ReplyDelete