June 29, 2011

the impact of books

Yesterday was the official release day for Griffin Rising by debut author (and amazing friend) Darby Karchut. She’s giving away autographed book plates of Griffin Rising on her blog to honor the occasion. You can purchase her book at Amazon and Barnes&Noble in paperback or as an ebook. You can also read my review of Griffin Rising and an interview with Darby.

I've had the pleasure of reading the next installment in the series, and I can tell you that Darby is a phenomenal debut author, and her stories resonate with realness. She has a storyteller's voice. When you sit down to read, it's like Darby's sitting there, telling you the story next to a roaring fire, fresh hot cocoa abound. The books are definitely worth reading, and you can start with Griffin Rising knowing it is the beginning of a good series. I highly recommend it.

Along with Griffin Rising, I've read a good number of books in the past year, many of which have stuck with me, and that will stick with me for years to come. Among my favorites:

Leviathan and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld
Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis
The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain

These are the books that I could read time and time again and never tire of them. These are the sort of books I aspire to write, books that readers can't easily forget. 

It's been a few years since I read Howl's Moving Castle, The Castle in the Air, and The House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones, yet I remember them as if I read them yesterday. The Lord of the Rings trilogy will forever be a family favorite as well as The Hobbit. The Harry Potter series will always have a place on my bookshelves, as will The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

Some books just have that impact.

What are some of your favorite books from the past year? What are books (new and old) that you won't easily forget?

4 comments:

  1. There are so many books which have greatly influenced my life, many fiction, and some non-fiction. Of course, you hit on one of my favorite with the Harry Potter series. As a child, I also adored the Little House books and would try to be as good as Laura was "bad." :-)

    In non-fiction, one of the pivotal changes in my understanding of myself came when I read The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aaron. What great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already identified mine - Harry Potter, Narnia series, Little House on the Prairie series...Also loved the Ballet Slippers by Noel Streatfield.

    I agree - some books defn leave a lasting life long impact. One of my greatest joys now as a mum is to share them with my children and see them discover them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the things I can't wait to do. When we (eventually) have children, I swear I'll read The Hobbit and Harry Potter for bedtime stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, thanks for the kinds words, Brooke! You made me all sparkly inside. I would add the Lloyd Alexander series (The Book of Three, The High King, etc.) to your list, too. As well as the Ranger's Apprentice.

    ReplyDelete